Thursday, September 3, 2009

New Day... New Attitude...

Yesterday morning was really, really rough! All of this crap that has been bogging me down finally let loose and I cried and cried. Sometimes, to begin to move on, we must have the break downs and the tears.

We went to the park yesterday afternoon and the kids played for three hours out in the sun. We all got a little sun burned, but being able to play with friends and relax without all the pressures of academics was very nice.

I have decided to take a new approach to homeschooling this year since what we have been doing isn't working at all. Time4learning.com is still working very well for Evie, but I pulled Asher from the program at the end of July. He's been working on book work since. He was doing a pretty rigorous course of study with pre-algebra and writing and he was fighting me every single day. We argue, cry, scream and generally do not get along when doing school work. It has been miserable.

Back to our new approach... Evie will continue with time4learning because she loves it. She'll be doing Math and Language Arts at least 3 days per week. Asher continue with pre-algebra (albeit at a slightly slower pace) because he wants to continue. But for the rest of it - we will read... and read... and read... and read! Fiction, non-fiction, history, science and story books! We will focus on writing what we want to write. It is an experiment.

My kids are anywhere from 1-3 years ahead in academics right now, so I do not worry about our kids 'falling behind'. Whatever that means. But for my sanity and to save my relationship with Asher, I am more than willing to slow our pace down a bit and be a little less of a slave driver!

I'm hoping to blog our progress and I hope to start my kids' book review site up soon. I'll be sure to post a link when we get it going!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good for you!! It is no good to fight them over school work. It just frustrates you, and them! This is a lesson I have been very slow to learn!