Sunday, November 22, 2009

IKEA and school planning.

IKEA and school planning - these two things have almost nothing in common (aside from the fact that I want to get some IKEA giant paper lanterns for the class/living room upstairs). I went to IKEA with the children today to just look around. I hadn't been there yet and it seemed like the thing to do, because everyone has raved about this place. I just don't know exactly why I wanted to go out on a rainy day like today at all. Sometimes, it is just best to stay home, but I didn't want to because I knew I had housework to do (that I just really didn't want to do). The kids were mostly good, but Isaac was grumpy and hated everything as usual. Going to IKEA did give me some ideas for storage around the house and I plan on going back very soon to take my time and look around for book shelves, some attractive storage for clothing and to have a meal because the cinnamon buns smelled really yummy. For some strange reason, it also got my brain flowing again for next semester's home school planning. Maybe it was all the pretty colors and containers. I like containers - baskets, tubs, jars, bins! Pretty much any kind of container!

I've been thinking about our history lessons a lot lately. We've been through all the Story of the World books and Asher is ready for something deeper. High School US History is what is in my head. I'm going to head to Growing Scholars this week to see what they've got. I'll be looking for a secular curriculum and something with as little expense as possible.

I'm also looking for a secular 9th grade Physical Science curriculum for Asher. I'd like to be able to finish most of 9th grade with him between now and the end of next year. I'd also like to increase his writing skills a great deal. We are going to start with outlining and summarizing within our US History Curriculum and a bit of creative writing and see how it goes. Asher's "Life of Fred Beginning Algebra" is GREAT! We both love the unique approach and the difference in his attitude is amazing.

Evie is going to go through North Carolina in a Nutshell and we will be taking a spring trip to Raleigh. I think visiting the state capitol is a trip every kid should take. I'll be looking for a self guided tour somewhere online to see if I can just go on my own. Her science is going to continue to be mostly unschooled - lots of reading and study based on her interest. She would only be in 2nd grade this year. So I'm feeling like a formal science curriculum would do us absolutely no good as she is learning so much right now on her own! I'm going to work on creative writing and summarizing with her as well. She's doing great in her Singapore 2A Math and is accomplishing quite a bit.

Isaac just turned 4 today. I'm going to start doing a little bit of formal phonics with him along with basic geometry, shapes and numbers. He's trying really hard to form his words correctly now and is interested in learning to read. Now to begin the process again of figuring out which program will work for this child to get him reading. After reading is attained, everything gets so much easier!

I'm still looking at how to accomplish all while dealing with a toddler, managing the house, getting the kids to all the activities (Taekwondo, Theatre, Park Day, play dates), feeding the masses, maintaining my happy marriage, and somehow finding some "me" time. I don't say all that to make people feel sorry for me or to say that I don't enjoy doing it all (most of the time). I say it simply to say, "Golly gee! I'm busy!" Add in the stress of the holidays right now and I feel like I have all four wheels spinning sometimes and I just don't get anywhere. But that is okay, because eventually, I will. And Spring Time will bring something wonderful - GARDENING and that always makes me feel better. I'm living for February.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Steph,
Once again, you make me feel tired and inadequate. Your children are very lucky to have you. BTW, I completely agree about the notion of a formal science curriculum would be more stifling than helpful for Evie at this point. Learning by doing is so much better!
Susan

Anonymous said...

I am a container junkie, too! Something about buying then that makes me think I will actually be able to stay organized :)

Susan said...

OK, let's face it--Rubbermaid bins and those clear Sterlite shoe boxes are useful to all of society. If I had the $, I'd have cupboards craftily concealed by chintz window seats, and lots of varying gingham-lined baskets of every size. As it is, I have 2 tiny wall closets in my whole house, so--Bins! Bins! Bins!