Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Dear New Homeschooling Family:

Relax.  You are doing fine.  Stop worrying about your 6 year old who is not yet reading.  They will read.  It might not be until they are 8 or later, but they will.  Stop worrying about teaching Algebra.  By the time your Kindergarten kid gets there, you will have the tools you need to teach them.  Stop worrying about science and history curricula.  Instead, visit a science center and a history museum.  Watch a documentary.  Read books with your kids if they are interested.  Stop worrying about your kids' socialization.  They will have friends and I bet they already do.   Stop focusing on whether or not your child is ahead/behind in whatever subject.  Start focusing on what they know, what they are interested in, and how you can facilitate furthering their knowledge and encourage them to stretch their mental and physical capacities.  

I will never forget my early homeschooling journey - it was hard.  I felt criticized and attacked from many angles.  I appreciated those that supported me, or at least held their judgement.  My family was so great about letting me feel things out and not pushing me towards a different decision.  The nay-sayers - including some friends and family - broke my heart.  I became defensive, I sent these friends articles about the successes of homeschooling.  I felt the need to prove to everyone that I was making the right choices.  I care for my children deeply, so why would I make a decision I didn't think I could handle? Everyone had an opinion though.   Here's the thing:  whether I was successful or not, it was not anyone's business but mine, my husband's, and my kids'. 

I have one in school now and three still at home.  I am so much more relaxed.  I often told my oldest child that he is unfortunate that he was the first.  We have to make all our parenting mistakes with him.  I've never regretted homeschooling him.  He is in school, and is as successful as he is because I at least didn't make too many mistakes in his education.  He likes to learn and I see that as my biggest success in homeschooling him.   I do wish I had someone in my face, screaming at me to "Relax!  Your kid doesn't need to be rushed!"  If anything, the biggest mistake I made with him and with my oldest daughter was pushing too hard because I feared the judgement of others towards ME.  They are both very hard on themselves now if they make mistakes.

So - RELAX!  You are not going to screw up too badly.  Be your child's facilitator.  If you see something makes their eyes light up - grab it and let them go with it.  Allowing kids to explore their world is an integral part of learning.    Most of all...  Stop worrying about what other people think.  You don't have to answer their questions (or criticisms).  Your child doesn't have to answer their questions.  Your job is to see to your child's education in the way you see fit.  

No comments: