Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lumping me in...

I've been lumped in with those I disagree with on so many occasions. Be it radically religious homeschoolers or militant atheists, I have been lumped in with the likes of both of them and just about any other category or stereotype. But here is the thing... I am not radically religious. I am not a militant atheist. I feel like I need to state what I believe so I won't be labeled as... As anything really. So here goes... I am someone who believes there might be a god out there somewhere. I think he might have created the universe billions of years ago with a bang. I think he might have planted the seeds of life here and there across that universe and that there is probably life all over our great big universe in varying degrees. I believe that life is a beautiful thing and that while I live it, I will make the world a better place.

I also believe that seemingly miraculous things happen, but I find them to be less about a person's faith and more about flukes in nature and probability. I don't believe that if a person "just has enough faith" miraculous things happen. I know plenty of very faithful people who don't get granted miracles and that if some god is able to choose one person for a miracle and not another then he is kind of a jerk. I also don't believe things happen for a reason or that some things are just meant to be. I believe a lot of life is coincidental. Sometimes good things happen, sometimes bad things happen. This is just how the world works, in my view.

I also believe that life is more often than not what you make it. Everyone has good times and bad times. But in the end, we are responsible for making ourselves and our world either better or worse. I believe in taking responsibility for actions that may negatively affect others. I believe in doing all we can to help others whether or not there is some eternal reward for our deeds (good or bad). Eternity is a long time and I am satisfied with the time I have here on this earth as the time I am able to make a real difference in this world.

I also believe it is important to make a conscious effort to approach life as positively as possible, even when I am sad. Finding an outlet for my sadness that will benefit others is important. I also believe a bad mood is occasionally inevitable and apologize in advance for it.

I believe in not begrudging others for their faith or their lack of faith. I believe that your path is your own and I will not try to convince you that my path is better. I will also try very hard not to belittle your faith even when I disagree. As long as you don't infringe on my right to believe what I feel is truth, I will not argue with you about what you feel is truth. However, the instant you do, I will kindly let you know it is not appreciated. I might express an opinion now and then. I might let you know why I feel the way I do, but I do not expect you to change your views. If you are out to 'win my soul', stop. My soul is my own and I will do with it what I feel is best. It is not to be won by anyone but myself. If you believe that damns me to eternal hellfire, I am very sorry you feel that way. I cannot connect your beliefs to anything akin to my own. If you wish to not be part of my life because of it, I feel that it is your loss, because I think I'm a nice person to hang with.

The juxtaposition of my beliefs and how I live my life are just as important as yours. Just because they are not your own does not make them invalid to me. It certainly doesn't make me a horrible person. Don't lump me in with my family members or my groups of friends or anyone else. I am friends with people from all walks of life and wear that badge with pride and I do my darnedest to make sure their beliefs are respected when I am around - even if I disagree with them!

Here is the kicker and if you've read this long, somewhat self serving post through until now, you won't make this mistake - don't assume I am something or that I believe something because someone I am close with voices their views. I might just believe something totally different. I am not my children, my husband, my parents, my siblings, my friends, or my colleagues. I am me. I am my own person.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Well said!! Here, here! I am all for personal responsibility, tolerance, and acceptance. Good for you for putting it out there, Steph.