Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gardening with kids

Gardening with kids can be both infuriating and fun. I love spending time with my kids, but gardening is always something I've done just for me. Sure, it produces some food for the entire family, but my love for being in the dirt, working with soil, pulling weeds, watching things grow... It is just *mine*! But I have always wanted to foster that love in my kids. I want them to enjoy watching things grow too. So they have helped a little in the garden this year. Evie has helped me plant pole beans. Isaac planted watermelon yesterday. Asher loves to help water the garden. And Oz mostly just observes, though he has tried to help weed by pulling out stuff he shouldn't! And they all love transferring worms to my composting bin.

I love having them out there with me to help sometimes - so I can teach them how to love the process of watching things grow and they are so much more likely to eat veggies from my garden than from the grocery store. All of that is is so wonderful, but sometimes, I just want the quiet. I want to keep the experience all to myself. I want to go outside without having to chase Oz or instruct on weed vs. plant. I just want to be out there without disturbance or distraction, because it is *mine*.

Then I feel guilty about this selfishness - about my need - no... that's not right. My *desire* to have something that I don't have to share with anyone else. My *desire* to commune with nature on an almost worshipful level - this centers my mind and heart so I can do the job of educating my children and taking care of the household. Hmm... So is it desire or need? I'm not sure. Pictures of my gardening adventures to follow soon, I hope.

No comments: