Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Updated New Year's Goals

I made this post at the beginning of the new year and thought I'd let my reader (thank you for being my ever vigilant friend and fan, Susan) know how my goals are progressing. I keep telling myself that baby steps are best. I didn't enter TKD a black belt. I had to learn a front kick long before I was able to learn a twist kick and I have not "Mastered" much of anything as far as my favorite hobby is concerned. However, I have pushed myself hard and I feel I my skills are increasing and my body is stronger. The same can be said for these goals. I am working in baby steps to correct bad habits and develop some good ones. So here was my list of goals for the year:

  1. Limit my fast food intake to once a week. This is a challenge because we are constantly on the go. I think that if I can do more ahead of time preparation, this will be a little easier. This has been challenging. We are down to once or twice a week with exceptions for social outings like our Thursday Night Pizza Hut Dates with our TKD peeps.
  2. Limit Dr. Pepper and/or caffeinated energy drinks to 3 cans a week. I'd like to cut them out completely, but I just don't see it happening. I will make coffee at home instead which is a lot cheaper and probably healthier too. I am still addicted to Starbucks Mocha Double Shot energy drinks, but have cut back to a few a week instead of 1-2 daily.
  3. Take my Vitamin supplements regularly. I wouldn't have to drinks so many of those coffee energy drinks with B vitamins if I were receiving enough B vitamins through the supplements already sitting in my cabinet. Haven't tackled this one yet... I need a vitamin patch as I can't remember to take a supplement to save my life!
  4. Eat fresh vegetables consistently and daily. I buy them. I put them in the fridge with the intention of preparing them and eating them, and they rot, because we go to fast food instead. Done. I get 2-3 servings a day. I try to make a point of consuming veggies at least two meals a day.
  5. Eat fresh fruit consistently and daily. (See 4) Done. This one is very easy to tackle during melon season!
  6. Limit my red meat consumption to 1 day per week. Mostly done. It is helping that I discovered beef gums up my digestive system horribly.
  7. Eat beans at least once a week. Once every 2 weeks maybe?
  8. Eat fish at least once a week. I really dislike most fish... Reminder to buy some canned tuna. Tuna is about all I can tolerate.
  9. Cook at home at least 5 days per week. Well... Mostly done, though not always inmthenhealthiest of fashions. I find myself wanting to buy convenient processed foods to cook and am trying to correct that mistake.
  10. Decrease the number of Reese's Big Cups I eat. I will not set a number on this because I really don't want anyone to know (Except those down at Rick's Convenience Store) how many of these I currently eat. Down to 1-2 a week, unless I have PMS. Then I may consume a few more...
  11. Eat only when I am truly hungry. Work in progress.
  12. Do not eat past full. I'm trying really hard to do this. Sometimes dessert really calls my name though!
  13. Enjoy fatty sweet foods as special treats instead of occasional meals. (see number 10) Hard one... Working on it. I am more successful with this the fewer I prepare processed foods and the more fruit I keep prepared and convenient.
  14. Waste less food that I buy to stock my pantry and fridge. I am making concerted efforts to not grocery shop unless I need to! My pantry is getting to manageable levels and I have room for the many jars of canned goods we've made this year!
  15. Find out how many calories I burn in a day on average. Hmm... Not done the research on this yet.
  16. Worry less about how many calories and fat grams I take into my body and stop feeling guilty about it. Weight Watchers Online has helped stop worrying.
  17. Consume more healthy foods that will give me energy naturally. I'm eating a lot more nuts, veggies, fruits, and lean protein, but this is still a work in progress.
  18. Find out which foods are high energy foods. Nuts, avocado, berries, green veggies are my go to foods this summer.
  19. Drink more pure water. (as opposed to things like vitamin waters) Done. Make a point to order water often.
  20. Keep a food and activity journal consistently. Weight Watchers App to the rescue!!
  21. Grow more vegetables and have the garden be the bulk of my spring/summer food intake. My garden has sucked. Fortunately, my mom's has had loads of surplus!
  22. Visit the farmer's market more often. Every Tuesday!
  23. Buy more local meat. Bad Steph. Not done.
  24. Find out which foods I am currently eating that negatively affect my workouts and replace them with foods that will positively affect my workouts. Not done.
  25. Make meal menus. Ugh... Nope!
  26. Use the crock pot more often. Sometimes?
  27. Eat less bread. Well, I've become fond of lettuce tacos...
  28. Drink at least one glass of milk each day. Nope. Trying, and failing!
  29. Worry less often and relax more often. This one may not be achievable for me...
  30. Stop allowing negative body image thoughts into my brain - even during PMS. My muscle tone from so much Taekwondo is beginning to show finally and I my body really is looking better. I am focusing on not criticizing the things I can't change (like my well nursed nonsymmetrical boobies, my booty birth mark, random pimples, and the lack of symmetry in my nostrils) and working on the things I can - like my fat content, hair style, and muscle tone.
  31. Dress up and "look pretty" at least one day a week. Once a month is a start.
  32. Finish our school year by Mid spring so I can be outdoors more before it is super hot. Done! We already are back to school work for the hot miserable months!
  33. Get outdoors more often - even when it is miserably hot/cold. I forget how hot it really gets during NC summers. But this fall should bring loads of fun. I'm moving my garden!
  34. Give my body a chance to detox from years of fast food and fatty food abuse. Well... Not so much, but I am doing better.
  35. Widen my palette and try new foods. This one is working well! I am eating a great variety of foods and trying different kinds of restaurants too!
So over halfway through the year and I feel like I am over halfway there. Prett good!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Are you trying to be Ghandi? NOBODY could make all these changes so quickly. As for the Reese's cups, they are very good for you. Chocolate has lecithin, which is good for the brain and memory, and peanut butter is wickedly healthy. My suggestion here would be to switch to the small cups, as they are more tasty.